Ep 246- What Social Media-Gazing Is Doing To Our Brains With Anti-Anxiety Guru Dr. Jud Brewer
October 5, 2022
Trigger warning: today’s episode discusses obsessive compulsive disorders, addiction and self-harm
Today we’re exploring the impact that social media-gazing is having on our collective conscience. What does all of that comparing do to our brains, really? And is the rise in body-focussed repetitive behaviors and self-harm connected? Joining us to answer our deepest inner beauty questions is neuroscientist and addiction psychologist Dr. Jud Brewer – aka Dr. Jud – author of the New York Times best-selling book, “Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind” and executive medical director of behavioral health at Sharecare, the digital health company behind the breakthrough Unwinding Anxiety app.
In Today’s Episode We Find Out:
- What scientists know – and don’t yet know – about the impact of social media on our mental health
- Whether celebrities and influencers who share self-harm journeys on social media is helpful, or hurtful
- The #1 question to ask to find out whether your everyday habit has entered addiction territory
- Useful tools for thinking about, and overcoming “trending” addictions like excessive phone time and plastic surgery
- Why Dr. Jud sees anxiety as a habit, and how to break it
Mentioned In This Episode:
*Some Affiliate Links Below*
*Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, all products reviewed are gratis media samples submitted for editorial consideration.*
When You Support Our Sponsors, You Support The Creation of Breaking Beauty Podcast!
The OUAI to healthy hair starts with the scalp. Shop OUAI’s all-new Scalp Serum by going to theouai.com and use code BEAUTY to get 15% off your entire purchase.
Clinique Even Better Clinical Serum Foundation is formulated with 3 serum technologies that visibly reduce dark spots, brighten and hydrate skin. Don’t call it makeup. This is skincare in *just* your shade. Find your shade today at Clinique.com
Macy’s Great Shoe Sale is here just in time to debut your fall statement shoes. Buy one pair, get 30% off, and buy two pairs, get 40% off. The Great Shoe Sale is only happening from October 5th to October 12th, so head on over to macys.com/shoes