Ep 302 – Tatcha Founder Vicky Tsai on Creating Sephora’s #1 Selling Moisturizer, Her Friendship with Meghan Markle and Why She Will Never Own a Diamond Ring
October 18, 2023
This week we sit down with Vicky Tsai, founder of Tatcha, the skincare brand inspired by the ancient Japanese rituals of healthy skin. In a rare interview, Vicky gets candid about overcoming invisibility in her life, what most people get wrong about the Taiwanese-American founder’s reverence for Geisha culture and her friendship with Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle.
But first, you’ll hear about the backstory behind the $500 million dollar beauty company, including what makes Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Sephora’s #1-Selling moisturizer (a jar sells every 60 seconds!) A makeup artist favourite, fans of the signature purple pot include Selena Gomez, Drew Barrymore and us.
Plus, you’ll discover:
- How Vicky’s battle with corporate burnout – and acute dermatitis – led to her healing journey in Japan, the very impetus for creating Tatcha
- The reason Vicky traded in her engagement ring to fund the brand, and why she still doesn’t own any fine jewelry (or much of great value) today
- Why makeup artist Daniel Martin was a pivotal figure for Tatcha’s inaugural product, Aburatorigami Japanese Blotting Papers, blowing up in Vogue
- How brands of all stripes can step up in a bigger way to support the AAPI community
- How she reflects on appearing in the Harry & Meghan Netflix series today
Mentioned In This Episode:
*Some Affiliate Links Below*
- Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream
- Tatcha Original Aburatorigami Blotting Sheets
- Shiseido Archliner Ink Eyeliner
*Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, all products reviewed are gratis media samples submitted for editorial consideration.*
When You Support Our Sponsors, You Support The Creation of Breaking Beauty Podcast!
If you’d like to try HiSmile V34 Colour Corrector Serum for yourself, visit www.hismileteeth.com and use code SMILE at checkout for up to 50% off your order.
Ritual’s Essential for Women 18+ is a multivitamin you can actually trust. Ritual is offering our listeners 30% off during your first month. Visit ritual.com/BREAKINGBEAUTY to start Ritual or add Essential For Women 18+ to your subscription today.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas… Macy’s has you covered with the essentials (and fun extras) to decorate, host, entertain, and get in the holiday spirit. Plus, check out macys.com/holidayhub to get ahead of your gift list with endless inspo.
Weeknight recipes are as easy as fill.roll.bake, with dinner prep in 30 minutes or less. You can find Pillsbury in the dairy aisle and find more weeknight dinner recipes at Pillsbury.com.